Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Best Laid Plans ...

Since we were excited to make a little more progress in finishing the nursery, we took the time last night to peel off the tape from the wall that we just finished painting on Sunday afternoon. After all of the tape was removed, we looked at the wall and agreed that it looked great. But then Alysia, always observant, noted that the horizontal stripe on the left side of the room seemed to be "higher" than the stripe on the right side of the room.

Of course, I immediately came up with a reason that had nothing to do with making a mistake. I explained that the floor probably drops from one side of the room to the other since it's an "old house"... A quick measurement of the distance between the floor and the stripe proved that I was wrong... and that the stripes really are off-set by about 2".

As it turns out, when I made the measurements for the newest stripe, I made the same mistake again that I had made a few weeks ago. The straight edge ruler that we're using to make the lines has measurements flush against one end, but on the other end the measurements end at 48" about 2" before the end of the bar. So on the right side of the room, the bottom side of the stripe is 40" from the floor, but on the left side of the room, it is 42" from the floor. So the question of the week is, do you think that we should fix the 2" difference, or live with it? (I think that you know my choice.)

I don't think that a normal person would notice this difference, but Alysia picked up on it right away because one of the stripes is just about in her line of sight, and the other was obviously lower than that... I really hope that our child is taller than 4'11 3/4"!

Until next time...

- Mike

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Haha,...my vote? LEAVE IT! Come up with a reason that you did it on purpose! That is what I would do! lol!

sandy said...

haha....did you forget to take a class at penn state on tape measuring? To think you took golf one summer...geeez...