Monday, April 13, 2009

A New Level of "Wired"

My second glucose screening test was today. I had taken the same test around 19 weeks due to a nurse's recommendation and everything was perfect. The one today is normal for all pregnant women around 26-28 weeks and I'm crossing my fingers for the same result.

The test involves drinking 10 ounces of a very sugary orange-flavored drink within 5 minutes followed by a blood test 1 hour later. The liquid contains 5 grams of sucrose per ounce - or 50 grams of sugar - certainly more than I'm accustomed to ingesting. The taste isn't terrible, but you wouldn't order a round at the bar:)

Well, inevitably, I get a sugar "high" after drinking this concoction. But, this time, I have the pleasure of combining this with the medication that also gives me a "high" every 4 hours...... Oh, the fun of pregnancy!!

Alysia

No comments: